Denise Starling – Executive Director
With an undergraduate degree in Architecture and a Master’s Degree in City Planning, from Georgia Institute of Technology, Denise began her career working with Atlanta’s regional planning agency focusing on transportation and air quality issues and policy development.
After a brief stint with a private sector consultant, Denise was hired to launch the Buckhead Area Transportation Management Association and took the organization from a fledgling transportation-only organization with $100,000 in assets to one that has today expanded its programming to incorporate community development, sustainability and quality of life issues with more than $9 million in assets and an annual operating budget of $600,000. Under her direct leadership, more than $20 million in outside funding was invested in the community and an additional $12 million in local investment was secured to support the organization’s initiatives.
Highlights of Denise’s accomplishments include:
- 14+ awards for exemplary programs and contributions, including being recognized by the Buckhead Business Association with their top Award “Bullish on Buckhead” in 2009 and by the Atlanta Business Chronicle Environmental Awards as the “Emerging Leader” in 2012
- She designed and launched the unprecedented free shuttle, “the buc,” which has been in operation for ten years.
- She led the effort to develop a plan for addressing traffic along the community’s most congested thoroughfare which resulted in the identification of $40 million in improvements, many of which are currently underway,
- She led the effort to rezone the Buckhead Village which incorporated cutting edge form based zoning code and was adopted with no opposition from the community,
- She led the creation of the Buckhead Collection Greenspace Plan, which identified the need for 106 acres of greenspace to be added to the community,
- She has acquired 10 acres of new park space for the City of Atlanta
- She led the design and development of a 5.2 mile multiuse trail along GA400 which is currently under construction and adds 13 acres of new park land to the City.
- She led the rezoning effort for the commercial core of the community which is redefining the future of the community.
- She brokered the first partnership between the State DOT and City of Atlanta to use highway right-of-way for parks.
Scott Cantrell – Director of Community Outreach and Communications
Scott joined BATMA in May 2005 as the outreach coordinator. Scott is responsible for communications and management of various other projects, including the Buckhead Eco Collection. Scott ensures that Buckhead is well informed. Prior to joining BATMA, Scott was a project manager in the fine arts industry.
Originally from Pensacola Beach, Fla., Scott has degrees in political science and international business from the University of West Florida. In his spare time, Scott advocates for organizations such as Georgia Equality, WABE 90.1 and DREAM Dachshund Rescue, where one of his two Dachshund’s were adopted.
Calvin Cromer – Program Administrator
Calvin has served as BATMA’s program administrator since January 2005. Before joining BATMA, he worked in the travel industry for 10 years. Calvin is a Georgia native who has lived in the Atlanta metro area for 14 years. Concentrating on management, he graduated with a bachelor’s of business administration from Valdosta State University, after receiving his associate’s degree in business administration from Abraham Baldwin College.
When he is not ensuring that all discounted MARTA passes have been distributed and administrating the vanpool program, Calvin enjoys exercising, watching movies and spending time with friends.
Tony Peters – Business Development Manager
Tony joined Livable Buckhead in February of 2011 as the Business Development Manager. Tony will function primarily in a sales and community liaison capacity representing initiatives under BATMA, the Buckhead CID and Livable Buckhead.
Prior to joining LBI, Tony spent over 5 years as the Program Director of the Perimeter Community Improvement Districts. Tony’s main responsibility was managing the implementation of over 25 million dollars worth of transportation improvement projects that continues to successfully contribute to the overall economic vitality of the Perimeter area.
Tony attended Auburn University earning a degree in Hotel/Restaurant Management. He is married to his wife Brooks, a 13 year special education teacher with the Forsyth County School System. They have two children, Augie – 3 and Lacey Ann – 9 months. Tony enjoys spending time with his family, golfing, cooking and Auburn University football.
Rebecca Stokes – Office Manager
Rebecca joined BATMA in July, 2012. She comes to BATMA with a vast amount of experience in the office and financial management. Rebecca handles not only all book keeping and financial oversight for the organization, she also ensures the organization is running smoothly on a day to day basis and administers all benefits and personnel issues for the organization. She routinely participates in program administration for those programs with significant financial components to ensure they are appropriately tracked and prudent financial controls are maintained.
Tom Bastek – Outreach Manager
Tom comes to us most recently from the Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas where he held the title of Loyalty Club Marketing Manager. He helped define the Loyalty Program before the opening of the resort and designed, implemented, and reported on outlet enrollment processes. Tom entered into the gaming industry at the Tropicana Las Vegas working with their loyalty program as well.
For the 10 years prior to that, Tom performed as a voice actor and worked in radio as the Director of Production in Savannah, GA. He did two years of stand-up comedy as well as theatrical and industrial film acting. He has performed radio, TV and web commercials, pod-casting, industrial film narration, video game voices, and voice-mail /on-hold messages, as well as played Tuba with a symphony orchestra.
Tom has a passion for Trains, Legos, Pinball, Craft Beer, and the NY Jets. He has no idea why his beautiful wife Jenny has stayed married to him for 8 years but thinks it may be because of the four legged kids: a Couch Potato Hound named Josephine and a Fat Cat named Waldo.